Friday, November 19, 2010

The Purpose of the Law: Choosing between Life and Death

When I was young, my pastor taught me how important tithe and offering were, quoting Malachi 3:10 so I gave offering to God, thinking that it was my duty as a Christian. However, I was wondering if I would have to obey to other laws in the Old Testament as well. Recently, I read Deuteronomy in my daily devotional time, and reflected on the purpose of the Law rather than focusing on its application.

Deuteronomy 30:15-16 states, “See, I set before you today life and prosperity, death and destruction. For I command you today to love the Lord your God, to walk in his ways, and to keep his commands, decree and laws; then you will live and increase, and the Lord your God will bless you in the land you are entering to possess.” This Bible passage reminded me of Genesis 2:16, and I found out that two passages have some similarities. Genesis 2:16 states, “And the Lord God commanded the man, ‘You are free to eat from any tree in the garden; but you must not eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, for when you eat of it you will surely die.’” God commanded the people to choose between life and death in both passages. Adam and Eve who were prohibited from eating the fruit of the knowledge of good and evil refused to obey to God, and they rather chose independent lives apart from their creator. The Israelites also fell into idolatry, ignoring the Word of God. What they chose was death not God—Deuteronomy 30:20 states that God is life.

One of the reasons why God gave His Law to Adam and Eve, and the Israelites may be to teach them how to revere God as their real king, and further bless them as He promised. Indeed, when the Israelites despised the Law of God, “they did whatever seemed right in their own eyes,” being a king by themselves (Judges 17:6). Likewise, idolatry does not mean only to worship other gods; one of the idols can be “I” to be a king. I believe that God reveals who He is and teaches how to live a life as God’s chosen people through the Law. In that point, knowing the purpose of the Law is more important than its application.

No comments:

Post a Comment