Friday, October 1, 2010

Tattoos?

O.T. Blog Steven Keith
If you have tattoos, don’t have tattoos, or want a tattoo it is important to know what God
thinks about tattoos. Personally I have a tattoo, but if I could go back in time I would give the
money to the church. Leviticus 19:28 clearly says, “'Do not cut your bodies for the dead or put
tattoo marks on yourselves. I am the Lord.” (NIV) So, God does not want people in the Old
Testament marking their bodies with tattoos. Does this verse carry over to the New Testament? As far as I know the New Testament does not speak about tattoos. However, in I Corinthians 6:19-20 it says, “Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; 20you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body.” (NIV) God calls us glorify Him with our bodies because we are bought with a price. Also, what are your intentions in getting a tattoo? What is your hearts motivation for getting a tattoo mark on your body? What is the purpose of a tattoo? I know many Christians who have Bible verses on their arms that they use for witnessing. However, do I need tattoos of verses on my body in order to share the gospel? Does God really want us marking our bodies up? There is still much controversy as to whether tattoos are ok or a sin. I personally say use the money to help the church and spread the gospel, rather than get tattoos. I think God would be very pleased with such actions.

No comments:

Post a Comment